Friday, January 23, 2009

Beyond Heartless -- Girls playing basketball

So when I saw the headline that a girls basketball team beat their opponent 100 - 0 I was NOT that surprised. It's not the first time I've seen this type of thing; and in all honesty, girls basketball is plain pathetic. I feel confident that five of me could beat most girls D-1 basketball teams by a margin greater than 100 - 0. Anyway, as I browsed a few more articles I started wondering how exactly this makes it to the news?

Like most girls basketball games, including WNBA games, there is no cameraman there or a journalists present to report the outcome, so someone had to alert the media. Does the winning coach call the local newspaper to report their great victory, or perhaps a proud parent? Then I thought well maybe it was someone from the losing team that wanted to report the abuse they just suffered. So I opened the article, trying to find a quote from the losing coach to see his/her reaction to the game. I didn't find one, but I found some facts that were much more interesting/disturbing.
  • The losing team has 20 girls in the entire school, and 8 of them are on the team
  • They have been winless over the last 4 seasons
  • "An assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points"
  • The winning coach "told the coach of the losing team how much [he] admired their girls for continuing to compete against all odds"
  • The played full-court press and were shooting 3's in the fourth quarter.
And most disturbing of all:
  • The losing school "specializes in teaching students struggling with learning differences".
Now when there are only 20 girls in the entire school and the school is for "special people", can you not somewhat conclude that the girls playing ball were a step behind in more than just athletics. And to imagine a coach " wildly" cheering on this beatdown.

People think I'm heartless but I could never pull this off.


3 comments:

Jason Nartker said...

Here is a CNN video clip of it. . . these people on the winning team must have been a freakin joke.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2009/01/23/gillett.100.point.loss.KTXA

John said...

Wow...Wow. And people sometimes give college football coaches a hard time for running up the score, when it can actually help their chances.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. And a Christian Academy on top of that. That is so pathetic.