Friday, September 4, 2009

Decades Old Tradition is Now New?


I know not everyone subscribes to Josh's Google Reader, but when he shared this I knew I had to correct it before I even read the article:
I have been to one of those and they're called an encierro. So anyone that read that article can realize the original author had very limited insight into Spanish culture. A running of the bulls is followed by an encierro (at least where I ran in Torrejon de Ardoz). And once you get in the ring (free admission if you make it there before the bulls, which is why you are running from the bulls), anyone can get down and run around with these younger bulls. I did it one time, but didn't care to be the dumb American that got gored so I didn't get too close like the kids in some of the shots.
And then after they let anyone down there, they bring out some young kids like 16 or so who do it professionally (not a big money maker though like a real bull fighter, more like your high school break dancing crews kind of cash flow).
So this has nothing to do with making bull fighting less bloody or being a new alternative. Its something they've done for quite some time. Oh and a bull fight follows it up in the evening. This is like the appetizer before the meal.





1 comment:

caseytanner said...

hahahha, the appetizer.