Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Retaliation in Baseball

From MLB.com after a recent Yanks-Rays game. The Rays felt that Jaba (sp?) had gone after Longoria on purpose, so Rays' pitcher Garza plunked Teixera:
Garza said that he had grown tired of teams brushing back Longoria, who was also hit on Monday by New York reliever Jonathan Albaladejo.

"I hate to be that guy, but someone had to take a stand and say, 'You know, we're tired of it,'" Garza told reporters. "'You can go after our best guy. We'll make some noise, too.' And that's what happened."

I'm still not the biggest baseball fan, but sticking up for your own...I can get behind that. Good for Garza. And I like that he came out and said it. Retaliation is an unwritten rule of baseball, but Garza explicitly stating his intentions, and why he had those intentions, gets a thumbs up in my book.

1 comment:

John said...

Yeah, I can respect that too, him being so up front about it. Teams are more likely to think twice now before going after his team.